Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Final Draft of Project 4: The letter.

To my peers and professor of English 102,

Throughout this course I have learned a little bit about my writing style and have grown from these changes. Though there weren’t any conferences outside of class with my peers or professor and though I did not discuss my papers or projects with anyone outside of my class, I did a lot of self reflection through this course and the tasks it required of me.
I enjoy writing if it is on my terms and for purposes that I am motivated about. If I am not fully motivated, if I have to write more than once on the topic, or if at any point in time I get bored during the piece, I don't put in as much effort as I should because I am not driven. I found that my writing style did not change much during this course because there was a lot of drafts of the same paper and a lot of editing, which I don’t particularly find motivating. I would have rather worked on a paper, then edited it once, and then worked on something else. Perhaps if there were 5-8 different papers and they were all different topics entirely, not building off of one another, it would have been more fun. Less of a process for each paper would have also been nice.
I have learned to be more patient with my writing process and to look more closely at the grammar and punctuation. I believe that the writing process is more complicated than I thought it was at the beginning. There can be a lot more steps and processes to fulfill in order to accomplish something worth publishing. I think the peer review process can also be more lengthy than I originally thought. I think being given both positive and helpful feedback is more beneficial than just what should be fixed. I I learned a lot about how to take feedback as well as give feedback in this course.Each time I revised a new paper I was able to revise a little more efficiently. I think this came with practice.
I didn't realize that the genres we looked at were really writing genres. I found it interesting that this class had me look at more unconventional writing genres than what I thought we would be exploring. I liked that I saw an increase in my project grades throughout this semester so that I could see that I was improving throughout this course.
I hope that if I ever take another writing class again, it is not online. I felt a huge disconnect with my peers and teacher. I would hope to have a more timely response with my classmates and professors when I needed help or if an assignment was due in less than 48 hours. While the course readings and assignments were helpful for the course needs and requirements, I personally didn’t feel that they were beneficial to where I am headed in my future plans.
Writing only fits into my lesson plans at the preschool now, through lesson plans. I don't see this changing anytime soon. I don't plan on pursuing a higher level of education in the next 5 years, so I believe that my writing essays and such have come to a close for now.

I think in the next five years my writing style will start to become more fluid in simpler, smaller tasks such as my lesson plans. Full sentences, grammatical situations, and longer, more in depth contexts will not be in my lesson plans. In fact, I think the next step for me as far as my writing style goes is to learn the ways of other cultures so I can connect with my families who are of a different culture.

All the best to your futures,

Britt

No comments:

Post a Comment