Saturday, March 12, 2016

Why I can't shop at Target

Being from Vermont, where there was no such thing as a physical Target to go to every night, I was caught unaware when I moved out here to Arizona. Being within a ten minute drive to a Target has nothing but negative effects on my health and my bank account. Not only that, but this Target is not just any Target; it's a Super Target. Thanks right. [Insert ooo's and ahhh's here please]

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Target_logo.svg
Not only am I a cheap college student, but I am also a preschool teacher. When you put cheap, teacher, and Target together, there's only a formula for destruction. There are some, but certainly not all, the reasons why I cannot shop at Target.

1. The Eye
Just like the Eye of Sauron, you cannot go to a Target without looking into the eye of the Target. And as soon as you do, you forget everything you may have gone to the Target for, and now have to walk aimlessly around the whole store with a cart, just in case, so that you know you have bought everything you could ever possibly need.

2. There's no such thing as "Just 20 minutes"
You cannot go to Target for less than an hour. Ever. There's no way. After you have looked into the Eye, you have to walk aimlessly around the whole store. After which time, you have to take a second lap in order to place items from your cart back in their designated spaces because you did in fact grab more than you actually needed and more than your bank account can manage this pay period. After doing a second check, you may start to wander to the front to check out, only to remember something you did indeed need and forgot to pick up your first two times around. At which time you walk rapidly to go get said object, trying so very hard not to look at the shelves as you walk passed so that you don't see something else you "need".
This is me after being at Target
for 3 hours yesterday. Yes. 3 hours.
Retrieved from:
https://www.flickr.com/photos
/jeepersmedia/10032630476

3. You fill up a cart every time.
No matter how many times I tell myself "just get a basket so you don't spend so much", I end up filling up the basket in just the $1-$3 section and then I have to go back and grab a cart. And finish looking in the $1-$3 section. Before making my two trips around the whole store.

4. Target makes me question all other purchases
Sometimes I look at the stuff in the $1-$3 section and I cannot believe it's only that much. It makes me question all my other purchases anywhere else, ever. Looking through the clearance of the women's clothing, I can't help but think, "if this is only $6, then why did I purchase a $20 shirt from that other place yesterday?". There is no end to it either; the baby section, where I get toys for my house rabbit, the cat section; for my cat, the decor section; my personal weakness, the clothing; it is all so cheap and still pretty good quality. Makes me wonder why I shop anywhere else; this might be brainwashing.

5. Coupons make all these worse.
Yes, you can use coupons. A lot of coupons. Making Target the best place for all those name-brand items, the cheap food, the clearance clothes, and so much more. You don't even have to be a crazy coupon lady with your own TV show episode to save more than you spend at Target.

xoxo
Britt

No comments:

Post a Comment