Saturday, March 12, 2016

How to: Bond with an Older Bunny



Okay, so you've adopted a cute little bunny from someone who is moving, doesn't spend enough time with him/her, etc.. Now you are home and are looking at the cutest cotton ball you have ever seen. And then you remember; I don't know a damn thing about bonding with rabbits. This blog post is for you.

1. Be gentle and patient.
Rabbits are very emotional and expressive for "silent" animals. While they don't seem to do much beyond poo and eat hay, there is a lot going on behind those big curious eyes. They are calculating everything and remember everything too. They also hold a grudge and can be emotionally strained from the change. Remember; they don't know what is happening. Many things could happen with your critter:
The first, your rabbit could hold a grudge and hate you for a while. That's okay. It takes time for rabbits to bond with their new fur-ever parents. Just be gentle and make sure the fluff ball knows that you are there to take care of them and give them love. The second, your rabbit could like the new change for a bit, and then one day you wake up and they are cranky. That's okay too! When Gracie was babysat for two weeks she went with my co-worker and loved the new change for a week, but after that she was cranky and biting. It was crazy and totally out of character. She had just had enough and wanted to come home.
No matter how they act, give them at least a month to adjust to the new environment and to you! It may seem stressful and crazy how long they can hold a grudge, but trust me; it is worth it in the end.


2. Read to them.
Rabbits don't have the best eye sight, so sound is highly important to them. Speak to them often, especially when you are alone, and if you can't think of anything to say, read to them. When I got Gracie, she refused to come out of her cage, and so I got down on my belly and read to her. I read books, I read my homework, textbooks, etc. ANYTHING to get her used to my voice. I talked to her about everything I was doing and everything she was doing, "I see you are eating so much hay. You are munching on your hay. You must like that hay." or, "I need to do the dishes, Gracie, before I pet you again. I am going to pet you when I am done with this pan. I just need to dry off my hands now". Anything you can say or read will help them get used to you.

3. Get down on their level.
Think of how huge you are to them. They stand no more than 2 feet tall on a good day and there you are, over 5 feet. They need your face within their range of height in order to explore you. One of my favorite things to do with Gracie when I got her was to lay on my stomach and pretend to be sleeping. She would wait until she was sure I was "asleep" and then hop over to me, smell my face, hair, etc., just on my back, and more, all while I held still. This exploration is necessary for a good bond.


4. When all else fails, eat bananas.
Gracie held a grudge for so long, I was starting to give up hope that she would ever like me. She just watched me for almost 4 weeks, never left her cage even though the door was open more times than not, and wouldn't eat from my hand. I was at a loss. Then, one morning while eating a banana, she perked up and was sniffing in my direction. So I held out my banana. Just a little nibble was all it took. We have been best friends ever since. It may not be a banana piece, but kale, corn, who knows with your little bunny, but whatever it is, it will work.

5. Don't forget all the things you can do with your bunny!
I take Gracie to preschool with me to play with kids. I take her to the park. I have a leash for her and a harness, and she goes with me if I am meeting someone for coffee somewhere I know has an outdoor patio. I take her to indoor functions too, but I didn't start that until she was absolutely litter box trained. She is my right hand woman and my best friend. I couldn't have asked for a better first pet.


xoxo
Britt (& Gracie)

No comments:

Post a Comment